Wednesday, June 24, 2015

DIY: Abstract Painting

Tonight I feel restless, so I decided to paint. I took out my acrylic paint, my brushes and my blank mini canvas.

I sat for a few minutes before I decided to paint an abstract using a mix of colors. Tonight, I am leaning towards the neutral nude shades and some pinkish tones. The result of the painting was rather amusing and enjoyable. Therefore, I am going to share exactly how I went about making these cute abstract paintings.



On a side note, if you have never painted before this is a pretty easy DIY. Don't hesitate to go wild on this painting.

The items you will need:


  • 2 mini canvases or large (whichever you prefer)
  • 4 to 5 shades of acrylic paint that suits your mood
  • Paint brushes
  • a sharpie
  • Ruler



The first thing you are going to do is randomly add drops of paint on your canvas. I went for 5-6 drops of acrylic per shade.



Once you have added all the drops onto the canvas, take the brush and run it through the drops of paint. There is no accurate way of painting. Just go with the flow and enjoy the random movement of your brush in different directions.



Let the paint dry. At this point you can stop and use these as decor items or gifts.



I took it a step further to make one of the 2 mini canvas unusual and interesting.

Using a sharpie and a ruler, start drawing connected triangles of various size from one corner of the canvas to the other. 



Draw alternating geometrical patterns inside triangles. The end product is quite unique, an abstract painting with defined geometrical lines.

You can draw other shapes like circles, squares etc. the idea is to overlap the painting with something constructed.

This is a fantastic way of letting yourself enjoy painting regardless of your ability. Go paint :)





No comments:

Post a Comment